A common question you may have while you pack for your flight is if you can carry food on board a plane? It is something we have all asked and quite often gotten into trouble while we checked in. The answer to this question is in the affirmative but with a few restrictions as per the security rules. Rules laid down by most of the airports and airlines around the world are pretty simple and easy to follow.
The 3-1-1 Liquid Rule
Any food that does not fall under this rule can be carried in your carry on. As per the guidelines followed by most airports,any food that can be spilled, sprayed, spread, pumped or poured is a liquid or a gel. To carry a liquid or gel, you must follow the 3-1-1 liquid rule. The rule states that any form of liquid, be it, gel, aerosol, cream or paste of 3.4 ounces or less must be carried in re-sealable quart size plastic carry bags. All such liquid should be placed in one bag and only one such bag will be allowed per person. This gives you an easy check in experience.
Even if you try to sneak in the liquid, there could be an alarm raised during the additional screening process. Any food or liquid above 3.4 ounces need to be carried in the checked in luggage.
Food to avoid/taken in a carry-on
Listed below are the food items that are not allowed in the carry-on luggage or cabin bag. Most specificallyif they are not in plastic containers of 3.4 ounces and less.
- Spreadable food items like nutella, cream cheese, peanut butter unless it is in a sandwich.
- Pourable food canned or bottled like all kinds of sauces, jams, jellies, butter, honey, syrups, salsa, dips, chutneys, hummus and alcohol.
Listed below are food items you can very well carry if it does not exceed your baggage weight limit.
- Food categorized as dry snacks like solid chocolates, peanuts, solid cheese.
- Egg, meat and seafood, be it, cooked, raw, sliced or whole. Packaging is crucial as it should not pose hindrance to other passengers.
- Sweets, cakes, cookies and pies can be carried whole or sliced. Don’t place them in the overhead bin with other carry-on. Instead, put them underneath the seat in front of you.